Wednesday, February 2, 2011

What I Know About Work

I wish to share some of the things I know with you. Now I don't know much, but I figure that while I have some knowledge (again very little) I may as well share it in hopes that it will help someone out.

Today's topic will be on work ethics. I have only in my 17 years had but one paying job. It was a summer job that I did last year for my uncle's home building company in Idaho. I worked on one site the entire summer. It was a remodel for a rich couple who owned two car dealerships in the city of Twin Falls. I would work every weekday usually from about 9:00 to 5:00. My position was basically an assistant to the contractors. I'd clean, retrieve items, help move things, paint, haul, demolish, and do any construction that the other builders thought was within my capability.

When I arrived in Idaho and started work the next day, the first job they had me do was the hardest one they gave me throughout the whole summer. There were dozens of decorative river rocks that the builders had ripped off the side of the house. Each one weighed an average of about 30 pounds. They were dropped into piles of mud also so they were slippery and heavy. If I had dropped one on my foot it would probably have fractured some bones. My uncle told me what to do with the boulders. "Alright so put them in this wheelbarrow and haul them out that gate and pile them there till we find something to do with them." So I spent the next two days filling the wheelbarrow load after load until my muscles ached so bad I could barely move.

When I eventually finished moving every rock I was congratulated by the all the guys and told things like "Wow Tully I wouldn't have wanted to do that!" and "Wow brother It looks like you ate your Wheaties this morning!" Even the client's wife told me she thought I did really well and commended me for my job.

After that, the rest of the summer was almost a walk in the park. Nothing mounted up to the labor of the first two days. All I needed to do was talk to my supervisors and make sure that there's always another job for me to do. You see, to be favored by your employer, you have to have the right frame of mind. Never be caught sitting around or wasting time. Always make yourself useful and ask, yes ask your supervisors what jobs need to be done. If they're tied up or can't think of anything, just look around and come up with something yourself.

I always made sure to be doing something and never sitting around. After a couple weeks my uncle even gave me a raise from $8.00 an hour to $9.00 an hour. He told me that all the work I'd done previously also counted as $9.00 an hour.

So good people of the work force, in order to obtain favor from your superior, simply make yourself a useful employee. Always be dependable, and never refuse to do any sort of labor. Always create work for yourself.



I hope this has helped in some way. Thank you for reading.
-Tully

No comments:

Post a Comment